A state famous for one beverage is becoming increasingly known for another.
Wine production isn’t new to the Bluegrass State; the first commercial winery in the US was established by John James Dufour in 1799 in present-day Jessamine County. During the 1870s, Bracken County in Northern Kentucky was the leading wine-making county in the country, producing 30,000 gallons annually.
With the onset of Prohibition, Kentucky’s wine industry came to a screeching halt, only to reemerge in the 1990s. Now, with more than 70 wineries, Kentucky’s modern industry is once again thriving. Currently, creativity and experimentation rule with a wide range of grape varieties and fruit employed to produce a vast array of styles to please every palate. From bone-dry to lusciously sweet and from paw paws to Pinotage, the diversity of wines throughout the state is truly amazing.
With so many Kentucky wines and wineries to enjoy, explore, and experience, one practically needs a personal tour guide.
Enter Drink KY, the exciting new app from the Kentucky Grape and Wine Council and the Kentucky Guild of Brewers.
If it were more handy, Drink KY would come with a corkscrew. A snapshot of what you can do:
- Explore more than 70 Kentucky wineries, chart trips with an interactive map, and use a virtual passport to complete your own unique wine trail.
- View locations in map or list format, with a filtering capability that allows you to view the exact locations you want.
- When a winery is selected, Drink KY instantly provides the address, directions, hours of operation, and other pertinent information to help you plan your tour.
- With Facebook authentication, you can log in with no username and password to remember.
- With the virtual passport, your location is automatically verified, and you’ll be notified when you’re eligible for a prize!
Drink KY also covers Kentucky’s other favorite beverage not named bourbon: beer. Specifically, Kentucky craft beer. So if you’re into Kentucky-crafted IPAs, sours and stouts, Drink KY is the only app you need to drink it all in.
Download Drink KY today, and let your Kentucky winery (and craft brewery) adventure begin!